Are you planning to finally replace your old deck before the beautiful fall weather starts? This is the perfect opportunity to not only refresh your old outdoor space but also add new features to it to help you get more enjoyment out of your deck. Below, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite ideas about what to add to your deck replacement in Reston, VA.
Inspiration About What to Add to Your Deck Replacement in Reston, VA
Planning ahead now can help you start getting the most out of your outdoor space once your deck replacement is complete.
You can have the most beautifully restored deck on the block, but if it’s not comfortable, no one will want to spend an extended amount of time out there. Start by thinking about how you want to use your space to help you choose the right furniture.
If you envision eating your favorite meals outside, prioritize finding a comfortable outdoor dining set. If you’d rather create a space ideal for long talks with your closest friends, opt for a cozy outdoor couch with plenty of space for your loved ones.
Examples of deck furniture:
- Plush sectional sofa with weather-resistant cushions
- Adirondack chairs with ottomans
- Hanging swing chair
- Chaise lounges with adjustable backs
- Oversized outdoor bean bags
If you want to add more privacy to your outdoor space, consider hanging outdoor curtains on your deck area. The right outdoor curtains can help give you shade from the sun, block out the wind, and keep bugs away while shielding your deck from your neighbors.
Decorating with outdoor curtains can also give your backyard a relaxing, ethereal vibe, depending on the type of fabric and color you choose.
Examples of outdoor curtains:
- Sheer white curtains for a breezy, coastal look
- Heavy-duty UV-resistant curtains for privacy
- Patterned curtains to add a pop of color
- Bamboo blinds for a natural, earthy feel
- Gauzy curtains for a romantic ambiance
Lighting or A Fire Pit
As we get closer to the fall, the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer. Get more use out of your upgraded deck by adding strategic lighting. If you have stairs on your deck, adding stair lights can help you stay safe when it’s dark. Overhead string lights are another way to add extra lighting to your space in an aesthetically pleasing way.
You can also add a fire pit to your deck for extra light on dark nights and a cozy spot to stay warm as the weather gets colder here in Reston.
Examples of deck lighting
- String lights crisscrossing the entire deck
- Solar-powered lanterns for eco-friendly illumination
- Recessed deck lighting for a subtle glow
- LED strip lights outlining the pergola or bar
- Tiki torches for a tropical touch
Examples of fire pits
- Gas fire pit with a modern design
- Wood-burning fire pit surrounded by stone seating
- Tabletop fire bowl for a compact option
- Fire pit with a built-in grill for cooking
- Fire pit with glass beads for a contemporary look
An Outdoor Bar
There’s nothing quite like sitting outside with your favorite cocktail or mocktail in hand. By adding an outdoor bar to your space, complete with all the essentials, you’ll always have what you need to make your favorite drink, whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or just relaxing with your family after a long day.
Examples of outdoor bars
- Custom-built wooden bar with a built-in cooler
- Portable bar cart with wheels for flexibility
- Stone-topped bar with barstools
- Tiki bar with thatched roof for a tropical vibe
- Bar with shelves for storing drinkware and bottles
If you want to add more shade to your deck while adding a unique design element, consider putting a pergola on your deck. There are a wide variety of pergola options on the market, with both open and closed roofs, depending on the amount of shade you want.
You can also use a pergola to add a bit of greenery to your space, such as climbing flowers, ivy, grapes, and more!
Examples of pergolas
- Cedar wood pergola for a classic appearance
- Metal pergola with a modern, minimalist design
- Pergola with a retractable canopy for adjustable shade
- Pergola adorned with climbing vines or flowers
- Japanese-style pergola with clean lines and simplicity
Rugs and Pillows
You can instantly make your revamped deck feel cozier by adding an outdoor rug and throw pillows to the space. An outdoor rug helps tie the look of your deck together and helps keep it clean from dirt and debris.
Outdoor pillows can make your furniture look more inviting and they’re designed to withstand sun and rain. Adding pops of color to your deck with outdoor pillows is the perfect finishing touch for your design.
Examples of rugs and pillows for your deck:
- Outdoor area rug in a geometric pattern
- Weather-resistant rug with a Moroccan motif
- Colorful throw pillows with waterproof covers
- Large floor pillows for additional seating
- Coordinating rug and pillow set for a cohesive look
Create an even more relaxing outdoor space by adding a small water feature to your deck. There are a variety of different outdoor water fountains available so you’re sure to find something that matches your aesthetic.
These fountains use a recirculating pump to cycle water through, helping to block out noise from traffic or nearby neighbors so you get more enjoyment out of your deck.
Examples of deck water features:
- Fountain with a tiered design for a calming sound
- Pond with aquatic plants and koi fish
- Wall-mounted water feature with LED lighting
- Waterfall cascading into a small pool
- Solar-powered birdbath for a nature-friendly touch
Schedule Your Deck Replacement in Reston, VA
Now that you’ve read about our ideas on what to add to your deck replacement in Reston, VA, are you feeling excited and ready to get started? With the help of the DeckGuru team, you can transform your old deck into a beautiful new space that your whole family will love.