When it comes to decking, the railing is an essential component. In addition to providing safety, it also adds beauty to your outdoor space. If you’re looking for deck railing ideas, you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we’ll outline the different types of Trex railings we provide at DeckGuru and offer some tips and advice to help you make an informed decision.
Types of Deck Railings
Wood Deck Railing
Wood railings are a popular choice because they offer both safety and natural beauty to your deck. Each piece has its unique pattern, coloration, and characteristics that add a natural feel to your outdoor space. They can be an excellent complement to wood decking, composite decking, or even stone.
Vinyl and Composite Deck Railing
Vinyl and composite railings are known for their low maintenance, durability, and variety of color options. They can be paired well with wood decks, composite decking, and even stone or tile. They’re an ideal choice for homeowners who want a low-maintenance solution with a clean appearance that won’t overshadow their vibrant composite decking.
Metal Deck Railing
Metal railings can provide a rugged or sleek look to your deck, depending on the style you choose. They work well with traditional wood decks or composite decks, creating a unique combination of two foundational elements that can add a modern touch to a traditional space or complete the look of a rustic deck.
Choosing the Right Railing for Your Home
When choosing a railing for your deck, it’s important to consider factors like safety, durability, maintenance, and aesthetics. Here are some deck railing ideas to help you make an informed decision:
- Safety: Make sure your railing meets safety requirements and is sturdy enough to withstand heavy usage.
- Durability: Consider the weather in your area and select a material that can withstand harsh conditions.
- Maintenance: Some materials require more maintenance than others, so consider your available time and resources before making a decision.
- Aesthetics: Choose a railing that complements the overall look and feel of your outdoor space.
Deck Railing Styles
There are many different styles of deck railings to choose from, each with its unique look and feel. Here are some of the most common deck railing styles:
- Traditional: This style features a classic design with straight vertical balusters and a top rail.
- Modern: Modern deck railings are sleek and minimalistic, often featuring horizontal lines and metal accents.
- Rustic: Rustic railings are made from natural materials like wood or metal, with a weathered, textured appearance.
- Coastal: Coastal railings typically feature a nautical or beachy theme, with white or light-colored balusters and posts.
- Glass: Glass railings offer an unobstructed view of your outdoor space, making them a great choice for homes with beautiful views.
- Cable: Cable railings feature thin metal cables strung between posts, providing a modern and unobtrusive look.
- Curved: Curved railings are designed to follow the contours of your deck, adding a unique and eye-catching design element.
No matter which style you choose, be sure to select a railing that complements the overall look and feel of your outdoor space.
Upgrading Your Deck Railings
If you’re ready to upgrade your deck railings, we encourage you to schedule a personal consultation with one of our deck experts. We offer a variety of railing options, and our experts can help you choose the one that’s right for your home.
Don’t forget to check out our blog to stay updated on deck repair, resurfacing, and deck restoration tips and insights. In our next blog post, we’ll highlight the unseen side of decks in our first edition of Decks After Dark.